Thursday, September 27, 2007

Space, My Thoughts

Space the final frontier. If that isn't the biggest load of crap then I don't know what is. At the rate we are going, space will never be a frontier. Apparently man has made it to the moon; satellites have reached as far as Pluto, robots to Mars; we even have pictures of distant galaxies and planets populating them. So why aren't we, the average Joe, out there in space traveling like it's just another highway?

My feelings towards this subject I admit leave me confused. On one hand I want to be out there amongst the stars and am growing impatient with the government and their delay in open space travel. On the other hand, all of mankind needs a basic driving course before we all go up, because if you thought a crash on Earth was bad; remember there will be no chance of survival in space.

Many feel that space travel will lead to a territorial war. I have often pondered this, and came to the conclusion that he who reaches territories first should be allowed to claim them for their country. I also think everyone that complains about this leading to war needs to come out of their cave, because just about every single nation on this miserable little planet of ours is already at war.

However there have been recent talks that a race for the moon is gearing up. Most rumors currently surround the Chinese and there recent activities towards the open frontier. The way every other country has been slacking in their efforts, I would not bet against the Chinese. The moon has on more than one occasion been discussed as being a true line of defense against any so called alien visitors, be it that the moon is used as a military base, a center point of a new kind of weapon, or other various ideas you may have read from hundreds of Science Fiction novelists. The true concern for many is that if the moon is held by one country, that said country will use the moon for weapon placement and that placement will be back towards Earth. Hence I personally think the moon should never be held by any one country or any country for that matter. Leave the moon as is, we don't need to trash everything in the Milky Way, do we?

I would love to live a life like characters from Star Wars, Firefly, Star Trek, or any of the hundreds of anime that involve space travel. But I know in my heart that this will never happen during my life time; I just hope that mankind's existence never has to count on space travel for it to continue.

No comments: